Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Skinny Fat

I had someone describe themselves as 'skinny fat' and instantly knew what they meant: someone who is not overweight, but completely devoid of muscle tone. 

Other than a brief year in high school playing field hockey and a year in my 20's when I was rock climbing almost daily for a few months, I haven't had much in the way of muscle. Even when I thought I finally achieved my weight goals in college and beyond, I wasn't thrilled with what I saw in photos because there was still flab, saddle bags, and cellulite.

Now let's see: today, I only have 10 more pounds to lose to reach my goal, but I'm seeing that same issues, plus major stretch marks from the pregnancies and a little hump in my upper back/neck from hunching to nurse the babies. We are our own worst critics.... :)

So while I plan to keep watching my sugar intake, I'm not going to fret over losing pregnancy weight. I want to have healthy posture to support my favorite activities. I want to build muscle, which weighs more. I'd rather gain 20 pounds of muscle, be able to be active, and never reach my weight goal, if need be.

After all, being thin isn't what will get me to the finish line after 1200 miles of kayaking. Being strong physically and mentally will.

A note to women who haven't ventured into strength-building: I know some women are afraid of bulking up, that men will be 'turned off' by an athletic build, but it's really hard for most women to get that ripped. Sure, we might temporarily add mass while muscle forms under the fat, but then the muscles burn the fat away fast. Being fit makes me happy. And frankly, I don't think there's anything sexier than a happy woman. And being strong isn't a turn-off to a man worth his salt.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment