Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sugar Free, Mentally!

The sugar free experiment was a huge success. I discovered that my dependence on as well as my unwitting consumption of sugar was not nearly as ingrained as I feared.

I enjoyed eating more veggies, more meat, and more fruit. Let me repeat that: I ENJOYED eating more veggies, more meat, and more fruit. Wow! I didn't suffer like I thought I would. When I needed a treat, I ate fruit or muesli (Udi's brand has no added sugars). I drank my coffee with no sugar. I drank more water. I ate less empty carbs. I tasted my food and found broccoli sweet. I even found myself wanting veggies with breakfast!

I lost 2 pounds that week, which seemed excessive until I remembered that I'm nursing a baby still and working out. I really like the change, and I like keeping the kids accustomed to healthier eating too (After discovering how much sugar they put in yogurt, we decided to invest in our own yogurt maker- it's too easy! Thanks for the tip, Mom!). So this change is a keeper- at this rate it should be easier to convert more body mass into helpful muscles and less stored fat.

Especially if I'm in The Zone (cue "to be continued" music).

No comments:

Post a Comment