Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Report: Women's Triathlon Training Group complete

One of the activities I undertook this winter was a triathlon training group for women through my local Rec Center. We met once a week for 9 weeks, then the 10th week was to be a 'dress rehearsal' race. Each week we would train in one of the areas of the race: swimming, cycling, and running. My goal was to increase my overall aerobic capacity and set me up to do some racing if I felt inspired.

Swimming was fine for me. Cycling was okay, except that I don't own a road bike and my big quasi-mountain bike is slow. Running was sad. Why mince words? SAD. I was so sore and tired after the run. I thought that I could fix that with a fair bit of effort, but my knees had other ideas. I decided to focus on the swimming and biking, and while the other gals ran, I did a core workout that the coach gave me.

I had my doctor look at my knees, and he gave me a referral for PT, but we are between insurances because my husband changed jobs, so I haven't been able to go yet. So no running, and lots of pain. I pronate inwards (my flat feet roll in, twisting everything and causing the bones in my knees to rub on my tendons) and have weak hips. Once I strengthen these, I should be good to go, but I doubt running will be a good choice.

Meanwhile, my coach offered to alter my triathlon race for week 10 and have me do a duathlon (swim-bike-swim) instead. I missed two weeks of training and did nothing on my own due to baby issues (see previous post). Despite all of this, I went ahead and tried the race with no preconception of how far I'd go.

It was a blast! It snowed the day before, so we moved the biking indoors to spin bikes. I swam a half mile (850m) in 19 minutes pretty much off the couch. I swam maybe 5 times this winter? Anyway, it's no pro time, but I was happy. Then I biked 12 miles in 45 minutes, and went back in the water for another half mile, clocking in at 18:59. So my swim strokes are consistent, which is good. I confess, I did a mix of freestyle and breaststroke. My breaststroke was actually faster and easier to sustain.

So what is the result of taking this class? I'm in a bit better shape now. It has me more interested in racing. Not to win- I'm not daft enough to entertain such foolishness living in Boulder, CO- home of a bazillion elite, sponsored, world athletes. No, I just like the fun of being around such motivated people! There's a duathlon coming up in June that I think I'll aim for next. A real race in public!

No comments:

Post a Comment