Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Holy Okefenokee! I ran 2 miles?!

My women's triathlon group met again. It was running day. I can't run. I've tried. Somehow I managed to eke out 2 miles, though, which is amazing. I don't know that I've ever gone that far before. I love the feeling of propelling myself forward with my own two feet, but my knee refuses to go downhill- even hiking makes it object loudly- and I get incredibly bored very quickly. The knee I can rehab. The boredom? That's tough.

I told my husband today that I think running is a mind game, and that game is called Boredom. Am I alone in this? It's just oxygen deprivation and getting jostled, at least with my lack of technique. How do people DEAL with the boredom? Am I just completely spoiled because of the strategy and thrill of climbing?

I just finished Jon Turk's book, In the Wake of the Jomon, and he mentions having to deal with boredom on his long, 3,000 mile kayak expedition. That makes sense. What I don't understand is my lack of enthusiasm- after all, it's only a short workout. Heck even once around the track has me desperately wanting to be elsewhere.

Does anybody have some insight that would clue me into the fun behind this activity? So many people do it- it MUST be fun, right?....right?....

No comments:

Post a Comment