Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Interview with Lynn Leech

I attended Lynn Leech's free classes for post-partum moms this past fall, and was fascinated by what I learned and the helpful exercises she taught. I was able to re-engage my abdominal muscles finally, and it was nice to meet other women moving towards better health and awareness. It's also how I met Haylay, with whom I'm doing Pilates now.

Can you tell me a little bit about yourself and your background?

I grew up in St. Louis, got my PT degree at Saint Louis University and moved out to Seattle where I did all different kinds of PT.   I was eventually led into... Women’s Health, working mainly with the pelvic floor muscles, the pelvis and the abdominal muscles as well.... I’m a mother of two boys 10 and 8, so I’ve experience the joy of it all.   I also have a background in craniosacral therapy, which works with the core of our body- the dural tube and visceral manipulation, which works with the organs and how they move and attach to our skeleton.  These modalities are very helpful when dealing with the organs in the pelvis and abdomen. 

How does diastasis recti affect the body's ability to perform?


DR is a separation of the rectus abdominus muscle which is the six pack muscle running up and down and is the most superficial abdominal muscle.  It is part of our core muscle group comprised of the rectus abdominus, the pelvic floor and the lumbar multifidus muscles.  This core group of muscles helps give us strength by stabilizing our spine during all of our activities.  So if you have a separation of your stomach muscles you don’t have the stability of your spine that you need to perform the activities you do and you are more prone to injuring your back. 

What specifically can you do to help me recover from pregnancy and labor?

The two main muscles you need to focus on strengthening are the transverse abdominus muscles and the pelvic floor, if you had a vaginal birth.  Those two muscles get stretched out the most from pregnancy and delivery so by regaining strength in those two muscles your core becomes strong again.  There are other changes that the body goes through especially with caring for your baby.  Your body tends to be in more of a bent over posture so stretching the muscles in front of our body, like the pectorals and the scalene can help improve your posture. 

How can you help me train or prepare to train for the Ultimate Florida Challenge?

A great start is getting your transverse muscle stronger and back in shape.  Along with strengthening your pelvic floor muscles your core muscles will be strong to help your body handle the training regimen.  Then the biggest part of the training and preparation is just doing it and sticking with it.  Motivation is so important and also having a great support team which I’m happy to be a part of and lend a hand. 
 

What happens if I don't do these exercises and just dive into paddling/rowing?


You could really hurt your back.  Without proper strength in your core musculature your spine isn’t stabilized and with the rowing your back can get strained very easily.

Are there any other resources you recommend as a support to the work you do?

I feel acupuncture and chiropractic care go very nicely with my work.  We all support each others’ work.  My work is focused on releasing restrictions in the body along with stretching and  strengthening.  In doing so you can hold your adjustments better and the energy flows through the body is easier.  It’s a great combination.

 Do you have ways for others to reach you, who might like to avail themselves of your knowledge and exercises?

You can check out my website for more information at www.IntuitiveHandsPT.com or give me a call at 303-845-0604.  You can also email me a question at lleechpt@comcast.net

Thank you, Lynn!

No comments:

Post a Comment