Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A rollin' we will go...

The folks at Confluence laughed incredulously when I mentioned my Dagger Crossfire.  "You got WHAT?" I said I like vintage, and the guy helping me said yeah, no kidding. He suggested it would make a nice planter in my garden, but another guy stuck up for my choice saying it's a good boat that set the standard 'in its day'. Heh.

I told them I wanted something long so I could get used to an unwieldy length, since I'll be upgrading to a 17-footer eventually, and they laughed saying I definitely got THAT. Eleven feet for a whitewater kayak is long. I think she'll do just fine.

So I took her in to see what I needed to do to get her ready for play, and decided to replace the backrest, since I'll be clocking a fair number of hours paddling. The bulkhead will suffice for foot braces, and I don't need any new foam- the boat is a perfect fit. Foam might increase comfort, but I'll worry about that when I think I'm ready to go for longer trips.

I'm going to take a private lesson Monday the 21st. I decided a private would allow me to get much more focused coaching on the things I need to learn: boat entry and exit, rolling, and fine-tuning my strokes. Since I tend to be detail-oriented and am already committed to doing this (as opposed to folks who are just wanting to try out the sport) they thought a private would get me more results for the dollar.

It's a 3-4 hour lesson. We'll see how it goes! I'm really excited. Then I'll be ready to venture onto the reservoirs alone or sign up for small trips/lessons on class I & II rapids this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment