Friday, August 5, 2011

Sanity riegns

The impatient, ambitious, burn-it-all Viking in me lost out to the more mature, mellow part, I'm sure all of you will be relieved to hear.

I was 75% sure of that even when I wrote my last post, but liked entertaining the idea of a mad push for September anyway.  *sigh* If given the opportunity to actually focus on my own goals and work towards them, I suspect I could achieve great things... but I never get the chance to have single-pointed focus on *anything*.  It's ironic that passion burns bright in the 20's, but we often lack the discipline or wisdom to take advantage. Then in the 30's, we know how to execute what we want, but in my case, there are kids and other tasks that require multitasking, watering down my effectiveness. I wonder what the 40's will look like?

In the meantime, I have small goals. I feel like I'm starting over, but really I'm not. I'm in much better shape this time around. I'd like to add tai chi back into my life again this month. I also have brought up the exercise gear we have: balance disks, small weights, an ab roller, elastic bands for resistance training, and a mat. I'm going to do the 100 Push-up challenge again that I did last year, and just start doing little things when I have 5 minutes to spare here and there. I'm also going to put this computer back downstairs, and only let myself check it once in the morning, and when I need to write a new blog post.

I'm going to resurrect the monthly Exercise Confessional too. Accountability helps with getting things rolling again. I think I'll do it weekly just to get myself going, and then cut back when it becomes normal again. Bear with me- I swear I have more things to post beside my exercise! ;)

4 comments:

  1. "The impatient, ambitious, burn-it-all Viking in me lost out to the more mature, mellow part, I'm sure all of you will be relieved to hear".

    Ok, I'm not so sure about the "be relieved to hear" part for me but I understand about the hard decisions to make when balanced with all the other factors and choices that make up the whole mix of life.

    The important thing is that you're still staying "after it". "We Forge our Bodies in the Fire of our Will" (I think that's how it goes anyway), so each day of exercise is a day of training towards your end goal. You will pick yourself up to a new level of fitness which will help you in all your other aspects of life, including finishing what you sent out to do, to finish the 1200 mile Ultimate Florida Challenge, or other Challenge as they emerge along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out rivermiles.com classifieds for boats. They are much closer to you than anything in florida.
    Recently sold are these Krugers:
    http://rivermiles.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1310157850
    I actually got my Current Designs Extreme Sea Kayak from Rivermiles, and that in itself is quite the story!
    Lot's of serious paddling folk up in the midwest so this will be a good place to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man you must have been CRAAZZYY at 20 cause baby look at you now. LOL. Glad to see sanity prevailed, FAMILY first. But don't neglect yourself and your goals, temper them in the forge of duty and with the hammer of desire. Then you will be of good steel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. spidennis, I appreciate your encouragement! I'll check out the sites this weekend.

    ReplyDelete