Saturday, July 23, 2011

An Exercse in Independence

My goodness! I don't usually blog on a daily basis, but there's been so much going on, even without paddling.

I posted my thoughts to the WaterTribe discussion forum on paddling whether or not the formal races happen.  I heard back from Chief, the original organizer and founder of WaterTribe. He clarified his thoughts as follows: Death happens, things change, people get older, and nobody should put off doing what they want- they should do it now. That's what he meant when he said 2012 might be the last chance. So he encouraged me to paddle the NCC, then the EC, and then the UFC. But that I should start doing these as soon as possible. No problemo!

The NCC is a 100 mile sprint that is supposed to be pretty tough, and a good introduction to WaterTribe events. It's coming up, so I could technically make it to the race this summer. Paddling-wise, I feel prepared for that distance despite not having trained- maybe I'm being cocky, but my off-the-couch abilities would get me though a sprint like that. I could get the charts and tide tables and study up. What I'm *not* prepared with are my safety skills. I don't feel adequately prepared with my rolls, self rescues, and hypothermia kit. I don't have all the gear pulled together for a real overnight race. I'd have a ton of work to do.

I think I could pull it off, but I'm not the only factor involved here. My husband's start-up, to which he is a total slave right now, has almost completed it's initial incubation period, making life in August and September a big unknown. He's still working 7 days a week, and we don't know how soon that will let up.

So a more sane pace might be to not race this summer and fall, and register for some races that are closer to home for next spring and early summer, and also register for the NCC for next year. If I do three or so 100-200 mile races next summer, I'll get to work out lots of the kinks in my gear and skills. Then in 2013 I can do the EC to qualify for the UFC in 2014. That also gives me time to save up for and decide on what boat I want to partner with. (I can't assume Pat's boat will continue to be available to me after this summer).

Still, while the second option is very logical and well-paced, and was closer to my original plans (before my husband got into this start-up business), I haven't totally ruled out making a mad scramble for this year's race. I might just register, and see how close I come to being ready. If I don't think I'm a safe enough bet, and if it stresses out my husband too much, I won't do it.

So for all these musings, what I'm really grateful for is the mental exercise that I had to go through these past few days. Briefly having to consider the loss of the UFC as my goal made me look hard at what I'm doing. Sometimes having something get taken away makes you really examine your motives and the integrity of your goals. I feel a bit more steady now, more independent. Does that make sense?

3 comments:

  1. Yup! (to your last sentence/question)

    I've subscribed to you blog,
    so now will get email updates as you post, cool!

    congrats on making the mental decisions
    on what, why, when, and where, etc ......

    prepare for all the events the best you can,
    then if the cards play out you're ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have been Craazzyy at 20 cause baby look at you now. LOL. A woman who climbs and kayaks and wants to do a marathon, too fabulous, messes with my head, too good. I was reading through your posts until I got to June 4, then my hair stood up on end. You see I savy animals, I went to college and got a degree in animal rasin', then thirty something years ago married a woman who wants to run Noah's ark on seven acres. I have a lot of experience with animals. Q: Who came up with this 20 rabbit bunny barn scheme? Huh? Was it the same one who wants to paddle around Florida? Mother Earth News makes farm life sound so wonderful. But its not romantic, its work, work, work. Which translates into time, time, time. Twenty rabbits and do adventure outdoor stuff, double eye roll. You are a woman of action, you seem to me to be burning the candle at both ends without having a wholesome plan. I am afraid you may wind up with burnt fingers, no candle and nothing to show for it. I expect that you find it difficult to be still. Your mind is too busy running marathons of its own making. But as someone much older than you I suggest that it may be time to spend some time in the bunny barn all by yourself. Like a sort of self imposed discipline of silence and quiet...as a matter of routine for a while. Girl, I think you need to rest. You are making so much noise and raising so much dust, you can't find the way. Stop, get out, look around, smell the air, stretch your legs, look at tracks in the mud, lie down and look at the clouds for a while. Its OK, blow the candle out on one end, watch how the smoke drifts. Then after a while, take out your chart, re-study it, plan quietly, then stroke softly away.

    Chief is very enthusiastic, he is right when he says "things happen", I know all about things "happening". But, that doesn't mean you should jump on it. I think his advice is best suited for those who have a tendency to not jump on things. I don't think you have one particle of that problem, Samantha Twentyrabbits.

    I just wonder if Samantha Twentyrabbits goes on night paddles just to be so quiet that nothing knows she is there. She is nothing but a smooth slow shadow in the starlight. Lots of time to think and be with yourself.

    So Twentyrabbits, remember that in the old story it was the rabbit who lost the race. There was this other slow peaceful glades dude who did the race in due time and won.

    Peace
    Charles.....

    Man, can't believe she climbs and yaks both, too good,.....messes with my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles, I love your feedback. You sound like someone I'd love to talk shop with on the animal-raising and philosophical fronts, not just paddling! You have a poetry to your argument, both with imagery and verbiage. I love the nickname, lol.

    I *have* been aware of having too much on my plate, but there's not much I can do about it. I'd been focused on parenting, and nothing else for a couple of years, and needed something beyond that to have as 'mine'. I chose the UFC. I can't tell you how much I miss the water, and this seemed like a great excuse to make it more of a priority. I hope you'll keep reading, and keep commenting!

    ReplyDelete