Saturday, April 30, 2011

Who am I doing this for, anyway?

Why am I doing this race? Partially for me. Straight-up. That's clear. I'm excited about the challenge.

But ever since I started planning, I've wanted to tie these efforts to something bigger. To raise awareness, and maybe even money, for a cause. I still haven't settled on one. There are so many!

Here are the ones I'm thinking about right now. What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts on which one excite you too.

1. Eliminating leprosy. Once you've been to India, you never forget it.
2. Midwife training in developing nations. Lowers mortality rates amongst mothers and babies.
3. Kiva.org. Any money raised keeps on giving through micro-loans that get repaid.
4. Seeyourimpact.org lets you directly help individuals in need all over the world. You get a letter and picture of the person you help.
5. Women's rights/literacy. From acid bath assaults to bombing girls' schools, this matters for humanity's progress.
6. Hieffer International. Give a family some animals they can raise for sustainable food and breeding. It spreads and helps the community.
7. Habitat International (Habitat for Humanity in other countries).

The non-profits I mention are personal favorites.  I could be tempted to do something specific, like to raise money to build houses in Haiti for example. Or to build a well in a village that needs fresh water. Or send a midwife somewhere to train 20 midwives. I dunno. There are so many things I'd like to help with. Where should I start?

I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on this. Which cause do you think would draw the greatest attention and support from the general public? Do you have any leads for me?

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite non-profit organizations is the Central Asia Institute, which focuses on girls education in northern Pakistan and Afghanistan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Zane! I will look into their work, too.

    So many choices, it's hard to determine what will be the most effective use of my efforts, and who would benefit most.

    Good thing I have some time to work it out.

    ReplyDelete