Thursday, February 18, 2010

Out of sync

Sorry my posts stopped for a while. Family needs have been intense. I haven't been able to do much of anything except try to keep up with the kids and my own fatigue. Even exercise has dropped off. Happily, I made it to tai chi this past Tuesday, so I feel at least a little bit normal, but I haven't even been able to spit out a few lines for the blog in over a week.

The infant is trying to walk, and unlike his older sister, he is VERY insistent that he be given full access to everything in the house- electrical wires and outlets, cabinets, climbing bookshelves, climbing EVERYTHING. So I'm exhausted trying to keep vigil and also find things for him to do.

Did I mention he's starting to teethe? Oh, and did I mention he got sick? Yup. Had to take him to the Urgent Care and then the hospital. I didn't sleep for three nights in a row because he was so sick and fidgety. So my sanity dropped off the scale, ladies and gentlemen. I haven't been that sleep deprived since he was born. Then I had two nights of almost normal sleep, and then my husband got sick. He's a noisy sleeper when he's sick, so again, no sleep last night.

That's 2 out of 6 nights of acceptable sleep. That's not much. I'm grumpy, tired- okay, let's be honest- I'm short-fused, eating like crap to try to stay awake, and desperately trying to stay upbeat for the kids. And trying not to be depressed, because I'm not working out, and frankly, I see no end in sight to this exhaustion and the demands of parenting. Weekends aren't a break. It's just more of the same. IIIIII'm SSSSooooo Tiiiiiiiiiiiired. Bleh.

I declared myself in "time out" once my husband got home tonight so that I could regroup. I read some of my favorite parenting book, Becoming the Parent You Want to Be, by Laura Davis and Janis Keyser, which perked me up, and now I'm squeezing in a quick update for the blog.

So now you know my past 2 weeks in a nutshell. I hope I can resume posting more regularly, since I have some cool stuff to share. Ah, the setbacks. They happen. And my kids will be grown faster than I can believe, so I really do want to enjoy them. I. Just. Need. More. Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment