Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The scavenger hunt

I spent this month on a scavenger hunt, try to find all the things I need to get started.  The kayak turned out to be the easy part- there are tons of cheap boats out there, but no paddles! I splurged a bit on a good deal and got what feels like an incredibly lightweight paddle. Better than the particleboard laminate I was designing with the leftover wood from my husband's shop! (no, I'm not kidding- thought I'd save a buck, but then, I dunno, I got lazy and bought this one?)

Anyway, I didn't quite make my goal of staying under $400 for everything. I have spent $415 now (including boat), and still don't have a helmet or dry top. Dry tops are super-expensive! I'm going to just wait and ask for one for my birthday in November- have it be my one big gift everyone can pitch in on. They're around $300 new, give or take $100 depending on brand. Whew! That is something I will be able to use in the race, though, so it's worth it.

So here's a breakdown of what I've spent:

Kayak: Used Dagger Crossfire, $80
Paddle: Used Werner Sherpa, $100
PFD (lifevest): New/clearance women's style $60
Spray skirt: New/clearance, women's cut, $80
Longsleeve rashguard shirt: $55 
Neoprene 'shorts': $40
Drytop: still need it
Helmit: still need it

I figure I can rent the brain bucket and outer shell to use for the rolling clinic this June and any river runs I do this summer. I won't really need them as much for my flat water training. I can wear a water-resistant windbreaker and sun hat.

....Until I notice how cold I am. Hmmm. I do think I will invest in making a proper hypothermia emergency kit to carry with me, and I'll practice with it this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment