Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Got Kayak?

I did it! I bought my first boat!

I've failed to post notes on my research, but I've been reading up on all the boats out there and still can't decide if I want to race a fast, streamlined sea kayak or pick a more comfortable cruiser for the big race. I did, however, figure out what my first kayak should be:

Something sturdy, forgiving, easy to roll, but long enough to get a feel for longer kayaks, and something that demands I learn good technique, rather than the ease of newer technology. What did I pick? A Dagger Crossfire! Whee! Go vintage! These beauties have been discontinued, but in their heyday they revolutionized kayaking as we know it. They're still one of the best out there, especially for a new paddler. I'm thrilled.

I found it on craigslist for $80 (yes, eighty!) and was intrigued by the photo. I checked out reviews online and got more excited. Even the one negative review (the rest were mostly 5 stars) was simply that it was too long for the whitewater tricks. Someone responded to say that tricks in a Dagger require true skill, unlike modern play boats- touche!

It's eleven feet long, and just under twenty-four inches wide, and weighs 39 pounds, so I should be able to lift in on and off of the car easily enough.

This weekend is the gear/boat swap that I have been waiting for. I hope to pick up a paddle, some knee/hip padding for the cockpit, fresh webbing/help with the seat, and a life vest.  The local reservoir is free until labor day, so I'll be trying to sneak in little trips whenever I can! Whee!

I love that I'm figuring out how to do this without breaking the bank. The one expense I'm planning on is that I'll take a paddling clinic to learn proper paddling technique and rolling asap.

SO. HAPPY.

No comments:

Post a Comment